Today Cosplay
Cosplayer

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Pokemon costume progress

My sister's wedding is over, so I've finally had time to get back to costumes and putting up my portfolio site, which I just finished today (finally!).

I've been working on my Gijinka costume. I decided on Gabite. Here's what I've got so far:



I still have to sew the sleeves on the shirt, and put fasteners on the shirt and skirt.

This was my first time making a "proper" collar. I did my best, but it didn't turn out that great. It's passable, though. It's one of those things that I would only redo if I found myself with a bunch of spare time before the con (read: not gonna happen) but I won't be too disappointed if I don't.

For the skirt, I used a pattern I had from high school. The skirt is simple with a waistband, and isn't too full. I modified the pattern by (1) making it shorter, and (2) making the skirt even less full, though only slightly. I just folded on of the pattern pieces down to about half its width, effectively removing about a foot of fullness.

Instead of installing a zipper, I elected to leave a slit and close the skirt using velcro. I wanted more flexibility to adjust the waist size so the shirt would sty tucked in and lay flat. I also just wanted something that was just fast and easy to sew and to use. I left the slit where the zipper would have been installed, then folded under and finished the edges.

On a side note, I keep all of my patterns in their own plastic bag, which I label with the pattern brand, number, and sizes. Then I can keep everything organized without having to worry about fitting the pattern pieces back into the little envelope. :<

If you're planning on modifying a pattern, read the directions for the pattern first, especially if you aren't very familiar with garment construction. It will teach you more about the way clothes are put together, and can save you a lot of time and trouble. You can see what pieces are unnecessary and, therefore, you don't have to waste fabric cutting out. You can also look ahead to see what steps are skippable and what steps are a good idea that you may not have thought of.

I hope everyone else's costumes are going well!

No comments:

Post a Comment